now browsing by author
Offset printing is a commonly used printing technique in which the inked image is transferred (or “offset”) from a plate to a rubber blanket, then to the printing surface.
Advantages of offset printing:
- Consistent high image quality.
- Cheapest method for producing high quality prints in large quantities
Disadvantages of offset printing:
- Time and cost associated with making a press ready to print, very small quantity jobs are better suited for digital printing.
Recent rumors of acrylic and polycarbonate shortages are unfortunately true and will likely affect acrylic price and availability for some time.
There are a variety of factors contributing to the increase in price and shortage of material:
Resins are being utilized at an exponential rate, and manufacturers have difficulties keeping up with demand. In addition one of the large plastics manufacturing plants, Sabic, that supplies North America was shutdown to retool and implement a new system which has resulted in more shortages.
Which materials are affected?
Acrylic is the first material that will experience a price increase, and it is predicted that polycarbonate will follow suit. Consumers will likely experience longer lead times and decreased availability.
How is Supreme Printing preparing?
We work with several suppliers to insure that we are able to procure acrylic and polycarbonate at the best possible market price.
If you are concerned about product price and availability, please contact us. We are happy to answer questions and formulate plans for your future projects.
Perfect binding is commonly used for catalogs, directories and paperback books that have a higher page count. Pages are glued together at the spine with a strong, flexible glue. The cover is wrapped around the glued pages, and the brochure or catalog is then trimmed to its finished size. No stitching is done.
Perfect Binding is aesthetically more pleasing and the piece will have an spine area that can be used to print on.
This more refined look comes at a price, on average you can expect to add 10%-15% to your total print cost with perfect binding which
could be cost prohibitive on some projects.
Advantages of Perfect Binding
- Overall valuable look and appeal
- Printable spine
- Ability to creatively interleaf pages. You can use a variety of paper weights, colors and finishes nearly anywhere you like.
Limitations of Perfect Binding
- Does not lay flat. You lose design space in the gutter area.
Not suggested for applications in which hands-free reading is
important (e.g., cookbooks or instruction manuals)
- Recommended thickness:
Minimum: .125 inch (if spine is printed) or .0625 inch if spine isn’t printed.
Maximum: 2.25 inches
- Turnaround time. Even though both binding processes are done automatically, allow an extra day for perfect binding.
When you have different options available to you like binding, the best thing to do is to think of Supreme Printing as your design partner. Together we’ll solve potential problems or obstacles before they arise, and you’ll be amazed at the brilliant ideas that spark.”
Creating Your Database
- Create a Microsoft Excel file or a comma/tab delimited text file with all variable data elements
- Label each column with a clear description of the data in that column
- Do not include any information that is not to be used and no ‘hidden’ columns
- (For Mailings) Provide a separate column for each variable rather than group together (ie. column for city, column for state, column for zip)
- (For Mailings) All addresses must be complete and all apartment numbers or P.O. Boxes must be in a column separate from the street address (Please refer to the example below)
- (For Mailings) Please format all zip codes the same way so they can be properly sorted. (i.e. 12345 or 12345-6789)
- Adobe Accrobat (.pdf)
- Adobe Illustrator (.ai)
- Adobe InDesign (.indd)
- Adobe Photoshop (.psd)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls)
- Microsoft Powerpoint (.ppt)
- Microsoft Word (.doc)
Also known as “Between-layer Printing”
We apply a layer of white ink between two layers of 4 color process ink, this diffuses light and deepens
images for use with day/night backlit prints and window cling signage, etc.
Digital Printing is more ecological friendly than Offset printing or Screen Printing. No ink or dye is wasted with digital printing since it’s all consumed in the print. There are no plates, blankets, or screens to be washed off eventually ending up in our environment which does damage to to our planet.
Bleed is the area of artwork outside final trim size. If you do not allow at least 1/8 of an inch bleed (3mm), any misalignment while cutting or printing will result with the artwork not reaching the edge of the piece.
Email: You may send files to us via email if they are not larger than your service provider allows.
FTP: You may send files via our FTP server.
Use the form on our Contact Us page to request username and password for access.
Dropbox: You can create your own free account with Dropbox.com to send files.
Many types of jobs will have no minimum quantity order, however certain products require
intensive setup labor and therefore require a minimum setup fee. In general most jobs will
be at least a $35.00 minimum in order to cover the cost of setup. We will be happy to provide
you with an estimate and suggest the most economic way for us to produce your job.